This grant part-funds PhD studentships in human nutrition.
Our nutrition committee awards it annually, and we welcome applications from staff at UK universities and other eligible organisations (like research institutes that can receive UKRI funding).
The grant is for a total of £10,000 a year for four years. You can combine this with support from other sources like charities or a research council.
You can also apply for an extra £1,000 a year to go to conferences in the UK or overseas.
The deadline for applications is 23:59 Sunday 7 November 2021.
- The maximum award is £10,000 per annum for up to 4 years. This can be used to co-fund a studentship with support from a Research Council or other source (foundation, charity, industry). The total support to the student should be consistent with current stipends of UK Research Councils and the co-funding should be equal to the amount requested from the Rank Prize Funds. The award is not intended to ‘top up’ existing studentships which are fully funded from other sources.
- The topic of the study must be relevant to human nutrition and can only be changed after the award is made with the agreement of Rank Prize
- Students should be registered with an appropriate UK University and receive a full training programme in specialist and transferable skills
- Students are expected to complete and submit their thesis within 4 years from the start of the award
- Students may be invited to meet the Rank Prize Funds Nutrition Committee at the start, approximately halfway through and at the end of their project.
- Copies of reports and assessments required by the University should be provided to the Rank Prize Funds to enable them to assess progress but responsibility for ensuring this will remain with the University of registration.
- Students may on occasion be asked to submit a short, informal summary of their progress which could be used on the Rank Prize Funds’ website.
- The support of the Rank Prize Funds must be acknowledged in all publications and presentations arising from the work.
- One application to be submitted per Department, selected and approved by the Head.
- The closing date is 23:59 on Sunday 7 November 2021 and the award will be announced on or around 10 December 2021.