Return to Research grant
The Rank Prize Optoelectronics Committee are inviting PhD students in optoelectronics (including visual science) at UK universities to apply for a one-off Return to Research grant of up to £1,500.
Rank Prize recognises the profound impact that COVID-19 has had on the PhD research community. Many students have been unable to return to campus, access facilities or research materials, attend conferences, pursue professional development opportunities, network with peers or visit other facilities.
This fund will support students as they return to their research and help to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 that may cause longer-term career harm.
There is no deadline for applications and these will be assessed on a rolling basis.
Examples of funding you can request include:
· Purchase of research equipment/materials
· Attending a conference (travel or registration)
· Childcare costs where related to research or attending a professional event
· Travel to another research facility
· Professional development or research-related training
The COVID-19 pandemic drastically affected my PhD plans and has meant that I’ll be spending more time as a student than expected. The support from the Rank Prize will make my final year far less stressful allowing me to focus on what really matters, my studies.
Richie Kirwan Liverpool John Moores University
There is no deadline at present; applications for the Optoelectronics grant are being reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications for the Nutrition Return to Research grant are now closed.
1. Requests for funds must be itemised individually
2. You will need to give a brief explanation of how the funds will support you to mitigate the effects of COVID-19 on your research
3. The maximum amount you can apply for is £1,500
4. *** As of 24 November 2021 – if you are requesting any home office equipment, including laptops, your Head of Department will need to give a statement making a case for this and explaining why this is not being provided by your university or research institution***
5. You can only make one application
6. You will need to spend the funds within 12 months of the date you receive them and return any funds that are unspent at the end of the 12 months
7. You will need to send proof of expenditure to Rank Prize following receipt of the grant