COVID-19 Return to Research grant
Nutrition / Optoelectronics
Rank Prize recognises the profound impact that COVID-19 has had on the PhD research community. Many students have been unable to return to campus, access facilities or research materials, attend conferences, pursue professional development opportunities, network with peers or visit other facilities.
This fund will support students as they return to their research and help to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 that may cause longer-term career harm.
The Rank Prize Nutrition and Optoelectronics Committees are inviting PhD students in nutrition and optoelectronics (including visual science) at UK universities to apply for a one-off Return to Research grant of up to £1,500.
There is no deadline for applications and these will be assessed on a rolling basis, but the Committees reserves the right to close the grant at any time.
Examples of funding you can request include:
· Purchase of research equipment/materials
· Attending a conference (travel or registration)
· Childcare costs where related to research or attending a professional event
· Travel to another research facility
· Professional development or research-related training
· Home office equipment
“The COVID-19 pandemic drastically affected my PhD plans and has meant that I’ll be spending more time as a student than expected. The support from the Rank Prize will make my final year far less stressful allowing me to focus on what really matters, my studies.”
Richie Kirwan Liverpool John Moores University
There is no deadline at present; applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
1. Requests for funds must be itemised individually
2. You will need to give a brief explanation of how the funds will support you to mitigate the effects of COVID-19 on your research
3. The maximum amount you can apply for is £1,500
4. You can only make one application
5. You will need to spend the funds within 12 months of the date you receive them and return any funds that are unspent at the end of the 12 months
6. You will need to send proof of expenditure to Rank Prize following receipt of the grant