Nutrition / Optoelectronics
This grant closed in May 2021.
The Trustees of the Rank Prize Funds are offering hardship grants to final-year PhD students in nutrition and optoelectronics (including visual science) at UK universities whose studies have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and who would not otherwise have the financial resources available to complete their studies.
“The COVID-19 pandemic drastically affected my PhD plans and has meant that I’ll be spending more time as a student than expected. The support from the Rank Prize will make my final year far less stressful allowing me to focus on what really matters, my studies.”
Richie Kirwan Liverpool John Moores University
- The Head of Department should submit nominations through the online form by midnight on Monday 31 May 2021. Applications are limited to one student per department.
- The Advisory Committees will select the most compelling cases based on financial need and the likelihood that the student will subsequently embark on a successful research career.
- The value of the award will be £5,000. The award is designed to cover the student’s living costs only and is not to be spent on university fees.
- The student will be required to submit a short report six months after receipt of the award outlining i) how the award has benefited them ii) their PhD and plans for future research. The report should be written in non-technical language intelligible to a general audience and parts may be used on our website.
- The student will be required to acknowledge the support of the Rank Prize Funds in any presentations or publications from their PhD studies and to notify the Rank Prize Funds thereof.
- Departments will be notified by mid-June of the outcome of their application.